Note: This is only meant to be a written demo explaining certain aspects of the application.
App can be downloaded via this URL – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamesproductions.montymason.lightexistence_depression_self_help
- Name: LightExistence
- Coded in: Java, XML & SQL
- Development Environment: Android Studio
- Platforms: Android Devices (Phones & Tablets)
Purpose of the Application:
The purpose of this application is to provide tools & content for those that are depressed, to help them overcome their depression.
I created this application due to my personal experiences and lessons with depression. There are several fantastic applications that are coded to provide useful tools, but I never found any to be centered around the themes of inspiration and motivation. This created an opportunity for me to help others with my programming knowledge, and create an app that would prove to be my first Android app.
The program contains the following features, also linked to their original posts:
- Diary: Where you can keep track of events in your life impacting your mood, you can also note any overall changes that may have taken place in your mood.
- The data from the entries is usually extracted from the appropriate fields and saved into appropriate database tables.
- That data can also be retrieved to view as a list (a collection) of past diary entries.
- Upon selection they can be edited, or deleted.
- Tests: Contains various tests to help measure your depression. The results can be saved into the database for later viewing then to keep track of your progress should you desire.
- Activities: Opening this leads to a screen where saved activities can be viewed that are extracted from the database.
- These activities can either be created from scratch or suggested to you.
- The purpose here is to provide activities that could help with your depression.
- Music Videos: Contains a collection of music videos on YouTube that can be listened to via default browser or the YouTube app.
- Guided Meditation Videos: Contains a collection of guided meditation videos on YouTube that can be listened to via default browser or the YouTube app.
- Inspirational Videos: Contains a collection of inspirational videos on YouTube that can be watched via default browser or the YouTube app.
- Articles: Contains a collection of helpful articles on depression, they can be viewed via the default browser.
- Thought of the Day: Randomly generates a positive thought of the day message upon selection.
- Inspirational Quotes: Randomly generates an inspirational quote upon selection. Great for those down moments where you need a pick me up.
- Resources: Contains useful extra resources to help with your depression.
Room for Improvement:
This app can definitely be improved upon. Some thing(s) I see that could use improvement(s) is/are:
- Improving UI design
This was a great first app to work on that is designed to help others with depression, but it also helped me as I made it during a tough period in life. It was also a great educational project that helped introduce me to the world of android apps from a developer’s standpoint versus a user. The project also presented many challenges, and overcoming them all one by one felt great as it does for any problem solving.